Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year, New Stuff

So, it is the dawning of a new age. New Year. New decade. Lots of new stuff. I figured I’d give it a shot…why not? As with every New Year, there come the so-called “New Year’s Resolutions.” For the average person, these are the result of much deliberation and very poor planning that will result in the Resolution being broken about 48 to 72 hours after its commencement. This, though, is not how it is going to play out. I have New Year’s Resolutions for myself that I will not quit on…and by myself, I mean my blog…and by Resolutions, I mean super-awesome changes. The thought of resolving myself to fix up the blog came when I was browsing through it and checking the meager 6 votes on my poll (hint-hint, reader)—I have a pretty bland blog don’t I? The all-black background, the italicized lettering stretching on like the Star Wars preludes, and the severe lack of pictures that make the reads daunting and boring (at least I think so). Pretty much the only “cool” or “catchy” things in my blog are the logos. Even though they are quite beautifully designed (if I don’t say so myself), my blog seems to be missing something. Time for some Resolutions!

The basic plan is to make the blog more approachable and immersive. Sounds easy, right? Wrong! It took a while of staying up till 4 am watching movies and not thinking about the blog at all to come up with an answer…or various answers. Actually, I came up with a motley of different things that I could use to spice up the ol’ blog, so to speak. Firstly, I’m going to add more sections to the blog. By sections, I mean “segments.” So far, the only segments I offer are “Rafa says WHAT?” and “The Suggestion Box,” of which only the former has been reasonably successful. Because of this, I began to think of what other things I could endeavor upon. What ground hasn’t been tread as of yet on this WritePad? The answer came when I looked at what I already had: “The Suggestion Box.” Guest speakers and writers! Eureka! I’ve seen various other blogs do it a couple of times and for some reason, I wasn’t able to put two and two together. The new section will be called: “Guests say WHAT?” This will feature a guest writer that I will select who will write a blog about anything of their choosing. That’s pretty immersive. Also on the idea of guests, I got to thinking that it would be an excellent idea to bring my blog more into the real world. This is why I am currently working on a way to share and post video interviews with random people. Obviously, that is still in the works and I still have a whole year to finish it. This might be pre-recorded or live (via a nifty little thing I found called Ustream). All of this will be backed by more multimedia on the blog including, but not limited to: polls, games, widgets, artwork and comics, and videos. Furthermore, I will increase the number of “random topic” blogs in between the “Rafa says WHAT?” blogs to two so that I am able to write more informally and readers such as you get to know me a little better. Lastly, there is a secret project that I am working on which will be unveiled hopefully in early February…that is, if it works. If it doesn’t, well then I just won’t mention it ever again and everyone will forget. Ah, the beauty and forgetfulness of the human mind.

So, in a nutshell, those are the changes I plan to make to the blog. New stuff, indeed. It seems like a lot, but I’ve already started working on some of them and they seem to be turning out quite nicely. More updates to come after two more “Rafa says WHAT?” blogs. I had originally planned to finish the “Foreigners” segment before the New Year, but that failed miserably. On the bright side, I get to have more time to properly make fun of Americans via writing. The new changes to the blog should start becoming visibly towards the middle and end of January. Please, feel free to give ideas or opinions to me via comments on this post, future polls, or emails. I’ll be more than happy to maybe consider considering them.

No comments:

Post a Comment