Saturday, March 26, 2011

Just So You Understand Sugar Pills

Everyone “knows” what a placebo is. But if I were to ask you, “What is a placebo?” most wouldn’t be able to answer me. Another thing that boggles the mind is the Placebo Effect. Everyone “knows” what it is, but do you really know what it is? The answer is not really. My roommate found a really great video explaining it, and I thought I might share it with you guys. The gist of it, though, is that it is a pill or medical treatment that has no effect on the body whatsoever as relating to the disease. If they are treating TB, for example, they would give you a pill which they said would treat symptoms, but would really be a sugar or starch pill (which is terrible considering that they are using a placebo to treat TB, but it’s an example, so don’t get all humanitarian on me). The Placebo Effect is a lowering of the severity of the symptoms or of the disease itself (sometimes even curing it) by taking these treatments that aren’t supposed to cure anything. It just goes to show what whiny little idiots we all are. Wah, wah, I want pills because I have the sniffles! Shut up! You can cure yourself. Deal with it and stop being a baby. Check the video below for an awesome animated explanation to what I just talked about.


Via Iambored

No comments:

Post a Comment